Knott’s Scary Farm Review- 2023


 Knott’s Scary Farm is celebrating its 50th Anniversary this year, and I am so glad I had the chance to fly out to Buena Park to see their shows. It was my first time attending Knott’s Scary Farm, and it has been on my to-do list for years now. 

I absolutely loved Knott’s Scary Farm, and I had an amazing time going through all ten of their haunts. I think all of the haunts at Knott’s are really well done. It is obvious that Knott’s puts a lot of time, money, and energy into building their shows. Something I loved about Knott’s is the theming of the shows. Each show has its own theme and follows it for the duration of that show. In addition to this, scare zones are located throughout the park with cohesive theming as well. 

There are certainly some haunts that I enjoyed more than others, but I still want to emphasize that all of the haunts are awesome. There are just some themes that I liked more than others, and I do not feel the reason I liked some haunts less was because they were “not as good.” I simply just liked the themes of some of them better.

For example, Mesmer is an attraction based on a carnival theme. I have seen carnival themed haunts tons of times before, so it was not one of my favorites. However, when it comes to carnival themed haunts, this is definitely one of the better ones I have through  throughout the country. 

My top two attractions at Knott’s were Cinema Slasher and Chilling Chambers. 

Cinema Slasher is one of the best and unique haunts I have ever been through. The theming of this show follows different types of slasher films and begins  in a movie theater. You enter different auditoriums throughout and actually travel through the screen into different subgenres of slasher films. This was so awesome and well done. 

Chilling Chambers is a haunt that celebrates Knott’s 50 years. The show features a wide range of themes and characters from previous shows. While I did not get all the references (first time at Knott’s), there was clearly a lot of passion put into creating this show. 

I loved the theming of the shows. There are a lot of really great themes this year, and these are just my top two. 

If I had to pick an area of improvement for Knott’s, I wish there were more jump scares and intense scenes. While the haunts are really well done, there were only a couple memorable moments where I jumped or was scared. I understand there are a lot of factors that go into this, specifically how crowds are run through the show. Knott’s attracts huge crowds and in order for people to see all the shows, there is no way they can do separation between groups. Even with a fast pass, I barely had time to do all ten attractions plus shows. (By the way, the fast pass is absolutely worth the price. I skipped the line completely for most shows). 


Overall, I had an amazing time at Knott’s. They have state of the art attractions and put on really impressive shows. It is worth going to to see all the sets and well-themed attractions. 


SCORING:

Sets 10/10

Immersion + Theming 10/10

Performances 9/10

Fright 7/10


9/10 Stars


Comments